Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When does the new pool safety standard have to be met?

Pool owners have until 30 November 2015 to comply with the new pool safety standards, or earlier if their property is sold or leased before then.

Q. When do I need a pool safety inspection?

If you are selling a property with a non-shared pool such as pools for houses or townhouses or units with their own pool or spa, you must have either:

  • a pool safety certificate, obtained before settlement of a contract
  • anotice of no pool safety certificate—form 36 (PDF, 60KB) issued before contract and before settlement advising the buyer that a certificate must be obtained within 90 days of settlement.

If you are leasing your property, a pool safety certificate must be obtained before entering into the lease.
If you are building a fence a pool safety inspector must be engaged within 3 months of completion.

Q. Do I have to have an inspection before 30 November 2015 if I am not selling, leasing or building a fence?

No you only have to meet the Standard, however for peace of mind it is advisable to retain the services of a Pool Safety Inspector.

Q. What is the minimum height for a pool barrier?

1200 mm

Q. Are small, thin shrubs, plants and hedges deemed climbable?


Q. What is the maximum gap allowable under the pool barrier?


Q. What is the Non Climbing Zone?

The area from the top of the pool barrier extending out 900mm and a further 300mm at the bottom of the arc.

Q. Can I have a mesh fence?

Yes as long as the apertures are no greater then 13mm

Q. Can a canal act as a barrier?

Yes as long as the depth is over 300mm and 1800mm wide at all times

Q. Are child resistant doors an acceptable barrier for outdoor pools?